Monday, October 20, 2008

A Soup for Mr. Roboto


Not Very Authentic Soba Noodle Soup

1 tbs vegetable oil

1 tbs ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 shallot, minced

6 cups chicken stock

2 bundles soba noodles

3 tbs soy sauce
3 tbs mirin
2 tsp sesame oil

3 green onions, chopped

Saute ginger, garlic, and shallot in oil on medium heat until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add chicken stock and stir. While this heats up to a simmer, cook the soba noodles according to package directions, drain, rinse, and add to the soup. Add soy sauce, mirin, sesame oil, and green onions. Serve hot.


Ok, first off, major apologies to Virginia Willis, whose recipes didn't get rave reviews from us last time - the kids didn't like the soup (Joni and I thought it was great, though), and none of us liked the bread (the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced I did Something Wrong when I made it). I don't think there was anything wrong with the recipes, the kids are just picky, and who knows what I did wrong with the bread. We'll have to make another of her recipes before The Month of Soup is over to make up for it. I'm still suspicious of beer bread, though. :-)

Today's recipe was kind-of thrown together at the last minute...today was kind of hectic, and I didn't get a chance to get all the stuff I wanted (like dashi, for instance) to make a more authentic Japanese style soup. That said, I think it turned out pretty good, and the kids liked it.

Kid ratings:
Christopher RobinPhotobucket
CollinPhotobucket
IsaacPhotobucket X "Eighty"
AnnettePhotobucket X "Ten million"

No comments: